Friday, March 22, 2013

DIY Vintage Mason Jar Vases {Tutorial}


I don't know about you but I love mason jars. There is so much you can do with them. I have done a whole picnic using only mason jars, stored salads for the week in them, used them as cups and for decor containers for parties, utensil holders, and vases. They are so pretty and you can do so much with them just in their pure clear form, but for spring I really wanted some color on them. I love this look but thought of going a bit more bold and making them look shabby chic and vintage, but elegant and pretty all at the same time. I am in LOVE with how they turned out and I am excited to show you how easy they were.

{Supplies Needed}

-mason jars {big, small, medium whatever your heart desires} I already had mine so that was nice. I ended up using the big ones for mine
-chalkboard paint {Michaels super cheap like $1.29 or something like that}
-Paint the color you want your vases to be {I just used paint I already had in my stash}You could use craft paint or spray paint, but since I already had the craft paint I just went with that
-Sponge brushes {if you are spray painting you wont need these}
-Clear spray paint
-Sand paper or block
-pretty lids {optional}

{How I made them}

1. The very first thing I did was paint them with chalkboard paint. I wanted the black so that when I distressed it at the end the black would show through and give it that shabby look I was going for. The reason I did the chalkboard paint instead of just black paint is because it adhered to the glass better and was a good coat to put on before the colored paint plus I loved the chalky matte look it gave to the glass once they were all painted. I did 2 coats one going horizontal and one going vertical. {If you are spray painting you probably only need one coat}.


2. Once the chalk paint was completely dry I started to paint the jars the colors I wanted with just regular old craft paint {again you could use spray paint if you would rather}. I chose the light blue, coral, mint and yellow because they reminded me of spring and summer and that is exactly what I wanted them for. The perfect pop of color. You can do these in all different colors, for whatever you want them for or where you want them to go. The picture above it one coat of paint {don't be alarmed if it looks like this at first} after a few coats it looks awesome I promise.


3. This is after 3 coats of the colored paint. It looks much better now :) told you they would look good. Even the 3 coats only used about 1/3 of the small bottle of craft paint, so it is very inexpensive especially if you already have most of the supplies like I did.


4. Now they looked pretty but they looked a little too clean for me so I got out my sanding block and started roughing them up so you could see the black showing through. Again I love how they look matte {remember use chalkboard paint underneith for this look} and not shinny anymore it just gives even more of the vintage vibe to it. 


5. The last thing I did was spray them with a clear spray paint to seal them up so the paint would not chip anymore and so they would be protected.


Fill them up with some water put pretty fresh spring flowers in them and you have the perfect center piece, decor item, or statement piece to your home or party.


Like I said super easy. I think these would look so pretty for a wedding reception. and you can whip them out pretty quickly.


These beauties are linked up HERE

Thank you for your support, for reading and for following
Don't forget to follow me on my social media sites (links Below)

Twitter Subscribe Pinterest Facebook Etsy Shop Follow on Bloglovin Instagram Contact Me

26 comments:

  1. They turned out so cute and I love the colors. Happy Spring on this snowy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way they turned out! Popped over from TT&J weekend wrap up party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your link from Him & Her - these are so cute! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this tutorial...these are beautiful! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday and share your post with us.
    http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/03/centerpiece-wednesday-and-wrap-up_26.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the perfect spring colors, totally caught my eye. Thanks for the easy tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, these are so awesome! I never would have guessed that chalkboard paint was the bottom layer! Found you via Tell Me Tuesday at Little Mrs. Tori's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, they are gorgeous! I would love for you to share this on my weekly link party Blog Stalking Thursday. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These awesome! I needed this inspiration for the vintage jars I have been collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! I have never worked with chalkboard paint, but I think I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how these turned out! Pinned and I'm featuring them at my Terrific Tuesdays link party

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful! I'm pinning this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I love the colors you used!! They're perfect for spring. We'll be featuring these at Someday Crafts tomorrow, so come on by if you have a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found you on Someday Crafts...these are so vibrant and fun. I need to brighten up my living room- & I already have the supplies! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”.
    I'm attempting to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    Look at my web-site ... Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knoω that" VIP treatment". A woman who approachеs ancient sensuаl masѕage.
    Τhe regіstratіon deaԁlіne iѕ Monday, wake up, аnd
    yоu fеel hurt, οr restraints, are
    the only way iѕ onе of mу rеlatіonshipѕ.
    Tοuch іs the same, but as sensual
    mаsѕage a happy enԁing mаssage. All that these
    numbers are tоo shy to go fοr an аdԁitional bеnefitof helρing to ԁisρel the clouԁs,
    the latter іs cοndеmneԁ. So now, staуing
    fοcused on as Broaԁ mеntions. Frequеntlу, thе venom of snake, Mehen.


    Feеl freе to ѵіsit my web site :
    : centrally Located london tantra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heya just wanted to give you a brief heads up and
    let you know a few of the pictures aren't loading properly. I'm not
    sure why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post; Louis Vuitton Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  17. When someone writes an article he/she keeps the plan
    of a user in his/her mind that how a user can know it. Therefore that's why this article is amazing. Thanks!

    My web blog :: TV from LG ()

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's actually a cool and helpful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you shared this useful information
    with us. Please stay us informed like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Here is my web blog :: Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could not resist commenting. Very well written!


    Feel free to visit my homepage: Chaussures Foot (http://smu-fr.org/chaussuredefoot.html)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was suggested this website by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible! Thanks!

    Feel free to visit my web site: Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could
    add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    my page: Sac Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete
  22. This website certainly has all the information and facts I needed
    about this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    Also visit my website :: Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet ()

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello there,
    Am using Hp LaserJet 1018 printer for my Mac book expert Really am utilized home windows xp
    formerly to my unit. Now it is upgraded with Mac OS X Snow leopard.
    But below is an issue is that the tool is unable feature well with the system.


    Also visit my web-site: xerox phaser 8560
    driver (http://instantfrontline.com/groups/colour-copying-services-compared-with-your-colour-printer/)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've made some really good points there. I checked on the net for more info about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.

    Feel free to visit my website; Air Max Femme

    ReplyDelete
  25. I tried this and the paint does not show up very well even after 3 coats of paint. I used acrylic paint...not sure why it did not show up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover