Wednesday, October 9, 2013

CrossFit {At Home Workouts Anyone Can Do}


As promised from some requests I am going to be posting more at home workout ideas that all of you busy women, men, mommys, and dads can all do. These are manageable yet great workouts that you can fit into your busy schedule at home. There are no more excuses. You can do this and I am going to help you out., and am so excited to do so. 

It is no secret how much I love fitness. I was a gymnast for ten years, ran track and have always loved to be active. I then fed my passion with education in the fitness field in college. I graduated with a bachelors degree in physical education and health education. In my 4 years of college only a tiny bit was actually on education most of it was filled with classes such as anatomy and physiology, kinesology {how the body and muscles work}, athletic training, and motor skills. Though these classes I learned how important our bodies really are, how miraculous they are and what we are capable of if we truly take care of ourselves. I was going to go on and be an athletic trainer but went the education route so that I could teach this importance to others. I am not teaching right now due to wanting and being blessed enough to get to stay home and raise my sweet boys. But I still have the passion to teach this importance and my love of fitness, so what better way to do so then to you,  other busy mom and dads out there, through this blog. I am really excited to share more and get you all motivated and moving especially during this holiday season.

If you follow me on instagram or read this Blog post you know that I have been doing crossfit for a couple of months and I share how much I love it. When I love something that I feel like has changed my life I love to share it. I am lucky enough to be living with my brother who is a crossfit trainer and we have been saving and collecting gym equipment for our garage, you can read more about that here. But not everyone is able to do that. So I will be sharing some of the official crossfit {see here} workouts that you can do at your home without all the fancy equipment if you are not able to get your hands on some or can't go to a specialty gym.

So lets get at it. Get up at 5am if you have to do it before the littles wake up, or before work, do it at 9pm after the kids go to sleep, do it when your kids are napping, do it with your kids are out playing in the garage with you, do it by yourself, do it with your honey, Just do it and you will be so glad you did. 

{Sample Warm up}
First of all let me start out by saying how important it is to start out with a warm up. You want to stretch your muscles and tendons and warm up your body. This will help prevent injuries and get your mentally ready for the workout ahead. So I am going to share with you one of the warm ups we do. 

-First we start out with a block run. This is just a light jog around our block which is about 1/3 of a mile or about 500 m 

 Top: Nike  Leggings: Albion Fit {Half of my athletic wear is from this amazing company}
Sports Bra: Swoob Fit {the bra with pockets} Shoes: Nike  Headwrap: handmade by me

-Next up are some good mornings. These are fantastic at stretching out those hammies, calves, back, abs and pretty much everything else. We use a PVC pipe to do these but you could totally just use a broom stick. You will place your hands about 6-8 inches past shoulder width place the bar behind your head, and resting on your shoulders, then you are going to bend at your hips to a 90 degree angle keeping your hammies tight, your head up and your back straight. This form is very important and will warm you up and stretch in all the right places. Then you will stand back up. And repeat until you have done 10.

-Good morning twist. This is the same start and form as the good morning but you will stay at the 90 degree position and twist your body to the left go back to the middle and twist your body to the right. Repeat until you have done 10.


-Upright twist. This one you will have the same hand placement as the good morning and have it behind your head. Then you will simply twist from side to side keeping your feet planted in place. Repeat until you have done 10.


-Pass throughs. You will want a wide grip on the stick raising it above your head keeping your arms straight pass through to behind you, rotating your shoulders, then still  keeping your arms straight you will pass back up to over head and back down to your hips. Repeat until you have done ten.


-Around the world. start with a wide grip, bar at your hips then rotate the bar to the left until it is behind you, then rotate it to the right until it is in front of you again and then repeat until you have done ten.

-150 single jump ropes if you don't have a jump rope {you should get one they are cheap at walmart} you can jump in place while swinging your arms as if you are holding a jump rope.


-Next up is the Sampson stretch this is like a front lunge the only difference is you will have your arms above your head and you will keep your chest up stretching back. do 8 on each leg


-Tick Tock Lunges. Swing your right leg forward with your left arm touching your toes then swing that right leg back swinging your right arm forward bending at the hips and touching the ground. Do 8 on each leg.


Then last but not least do 15 air squats. Remembering to keep your chest up, butt out, weight on your heels and squeezing those legs and booty all the way through.

Wahoo you made it through the warm up. We are all stretched out and ready to go. 



{WOD- Work out of the Day- Sample 1}
6 rounds for time 
-400 m run {one lap around the track or 1/4 of a mile}
-25 burpees 

That just means you will do these two skills 6 times doing the run then the burpees {that is one round} then going back to the run and so on. You will time how long it takes you to complete all 6 rounds. Crossfit timed workouts are supposed to be fast, push yourself and get through it as quick as your body will allow. But of course it is always ok to take breaks and make sure to drink plenty of water.

Top: Albion Fit  Leggings: Albion Fit   Sports Bra: Swoobfit   Shoes: Nike
Headwrap: Handmade by me


burpees- start in a standing position, bend down to a squat with your hands on the ground, push your feet back into a push up position, go down into a push up, come back up to push up top position, bring your legs back into the squat and stand straight up. Repeat 25 times.

These babies are beasts, but honey you will thank me later, well maybe way later after the soreness has worn off, because they work everything!!!!

And there is your day one workout! This took me about 30 minutes to complete. Try it and let me know what you think. 


This picture is to prove just how anyone can make time to workout. Do it during naps, in the morning at night or do it with your kids. why not? Show them young how important exercising is for their bodies. Let them do it with you. They will love it and you are being a great example and teaching your children all while you are getting in that workout.


Believe me they will want to run with you too. It makes them feel big, strong and grown up.

{WOD- Work out of the Day- Sample 2}
Rounds of 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 reps for time of
crossfit situps
double under jump ropes  {or triple the amount for single jump ropes}

First lets start with crossfit sit ups. This is pretty much just like any other sit up but you are going to bend your knees, open your hips and put the bottoms of your feet together in a butterfly position like the picture above then you will proceed with the sit up in this position. Lay back, then using your abs and pulling your back down to the mat sit up, lay back down and repeat.


Next up double unders. You will need a jump rope for this one. But really it is worth it go to walmart and get one for $5. A double under is just what is sounds like the rope will go around twice in the amount of time that you jump and your feet hit back to the ground. This is obviously a quick movement and is amazing cardio. Do you remember doing these in elementary school during recess? Yeah well now we are old and they are a lot trickier lol I learned that the hard way. Double unders get some getting used to it is all about the timing, work on them, practice and while you are working on them you can substitute triple the amount of single jump ropes until you get them down. So for triple the amount you would do 150, 120, 90, 60, 30 singles easy enough right.

And there you have your day 2 of at home workouts! This one took me about 13 minutes but it was amazing cardio. Do not underestimate short but very intense workouts if you really push yourself to your limits this will kick your trash.

Now for a little update on the Crossfit gym we are putting together, you can see how we started HERE.


First of all I feel like I am finally getting the hang of the olympic weightlifting thing. I love it. It really takes a lot of instruction and practice but holy cow it is amazing when you realize what you are capable of and how strong and great you feel when you push yourself.


Here I am doing a Squatclean. I couple months ago I didn't even know what the heck a clean was let alone do it. My, how far I have already come.


Now for our crossfit gym set up. We still have a ways to go but are making progress. We are still using the gymnastics mat as out mat and are hoping to be getting a rubber mat soon. The gymnastics mat does work for now though and we feel lucky to have snatched it up for free. We use a Rogue brand Olympic weight 45 lb bar, and rubber weights. The rubber weights are worth every penny. They are great for when you get to really heavy weights on your lifts and want to be able to drop the weight from above your head without any damage to the weights.


Last post I told you about our 8X4 feet whiteboard we got from home depot for only $13 and we finally hung it up, made a tray from a 2X4 for $2 painted it red with some spray paint I had on hand {just for fun} and it is the best to display our WOD, warmup, and strength skill of the day. Next I will be using some vinyl and making it much prettier with a chart of our PR's and times. The whiteboard is a must.

Also since the last post we have gotten a pull up bar, rings, and a plyo box all from Rogue. I have a love/hate relationship with that pull up bar but really it is probably my favorite.


Next to the whiteboard I hung up a peg board that I had left over from another project and attached some office organization cups from the dollar section with some screws. In the containers we keep things we might need quickly or use often while working out such as:weightlifting gloves, hand sanatizer, lotion, pens, pencils, bandaids, chapstick, tylenol, headbands, earphones, etc. 

Still on our crossfit gym wish list is: Kettle bells, rubber mat flooring, cage, rope, rower, one more bar, and more rubber weight. Its comin along. 

NowPIN PIN PIN away my friends and get started on those awesome workouts. Try them out, let me know what you think, how you felt, and stay tuned for more and more workouts to come!!!!


You can also check out a series I did last year all about fitness and health 
31 days of workouts at home, fitness and health information, tips, tricks and recipes.

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram 
@WHITNEYULRICH
to see all my fun pics, my real life, fitness, fashion ideas
 and sneak peaks of what I've been working on

Also if you have an questions at all feel free to email me at
 wjwiki07@hotmail.com

Thank you for your support, for reading and for following
Make sure to check out my other social media sites and follow along
{Links below}
Twitter Subscribe Pinterest Facebook Etsy Shop Follow on Bloglovin Instagram Contact Me

4 comments:

  1. I cannot believe how muscly you look and how great you look! So jealous, my body won't be looking like that.... ever. There are some great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so hardcore! I also prefer to work out before the kids get up -- it's so great to have it done for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found you on Pinterest. I've really wanted to try Crossfit but the classes are a bit out of my price point. Looking forward to doing your at home version. Thank you for posting. I can only find weeks 1, 4 & 5 on Pinterest, where can I find weeks 2, 3 & 6? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover