Monday, October 10, 2011

Flower Pedal Pillow Tutorial

Remember my envelope pillow tutorial Here
Well here is what I did to the front of the white one


I am even going to show you my inspiration for it
and how to make one yourself with step by step instructions
I am just getting into sewing so if I can do this
so can you!

Here we go!!!

I am redoing my bedroom and have also changed my colors
so I have been looking for inspiration and thinking up pillow designs
While I was looking at this DownEast shirt
(Which just happens to be my moms)
I thought to myself 
what the heck I am going to take that idea and make it into a pillow 

Here is what you will need:
-Card stock (just a small scrap piece big enough for your flower)
-fabric pencil, or marker that will show up on fabric
-pillow form
-enough fabric to make your envelope pillow cover (your choice of color)

-and 1 yard to 1 and 1/2 yards of fabric (your choice of color) for the pedals
-fabric scissors
-pins
-sewing machine
-thread to match your pillow fabric
-thread to match your pedal fabric
-tulle  (enough for the height of your pillow form)

Here is what I did:

First I found a 6 pedal flower design on my Silhouette software 
size: 3.5 x 3 inches
and set it to cut on card stock
You DO NOT need a cutting machine for this 
you can find a flower image on your computer or internet print it out and cut it by hand


Get a fabric pencil, marker, or photo pencil to trace your flower onto your fabric
These pencils or a marker are best to show up onto the fabric


Trace your flowers onto the cotton fabric color you want your pedals to be 
I traced 110 flowers which was about 1 yard
(this was for a rectangle 14 X 20 pillow)
tracing the flowers in rows close together


Then I cut them out with my fabric scissors 
This is the most time consuming step but the rest is pretty quick
I just cut them out while I was watching my shows 
Yeah I love the new Fall season!
So many fun shows on


You are going to be sewing your pedals onto tulle
size: height of pillow form inch X 5 3/4 inch
(15 inches was the fabric height of my pillow I was doing 
so my tulle was 15 X 5 3/4 inch


Now it is time to get those pedals onto the tulle
You are going to fold the flower in half so three pedals are showing 
like the picture above


Then fold it in half again 
so it looks like this
Folding it two ways will give it the dimension and fluffy look I am going for


you are going to sew your pedals on row by row 
with five pedals creating each row
First fold and pin five pedals onto the tulle


Then creating a continuous stitch 
(show in the picture above)
sew the five pedals onto the tulle 
making sure to just sew the corners of the pedals
so the rest can fluff up
don't forget to back-stitch at the beginning and end of each row


with your next row you want the stitches to be about an inch apart 
with the pedals overlapping a little bit
and make sure to stagger them a little bit filling in all the holes
continue to fold, pin and stitch with five in each row
until you have covered the tulle 
(the length of your pillow)
so it looks like the picture above


once all your pedals are sewn on and you like the coverage
it is time to sew the tulle onto the fabric piece that will be the front of your pillow
Pin your pedals back and sew the top of your tulle onto the fabric


Then get your pedal piece straight and pin back the pedals on the bottom of the tulle
and sew the bottom of the tulle onto the fabric 


Now the top and bottom of you tulle is secured onto the fabric 
 next you will find the middle and pin back all the pedals


then sew the middle of the tulle onto the fabric



then the back will look a little something like this


which is a little more secure but I really want it on there so I  did 
more stitches pinning pedals away and stitching
about every 1 1/2 inches
so the back looked a little something like this
Now that is secure!


And the front should look like this!


Now you have the front of you pillow done
So this is when you can make the decision of what type of pillow you want
I decided I wanted to do an envelope pillow cover
Click HERE to see my full tutorial of how
to sew an envelope pillow


After cutting, and making the seams for the back pieces of the 
pillow I pinned it all together
and sewed around the whole thing


Turned it right side out 
and my pillow cover looked a little something like this!!!


Next I found this travel size pillow
at Walmart for $3 compared to pillow forms $7 
Yay I love cheaper
and it was the exact size I was looking for


Slide your pillow form into your envelope


and it will look all fluffy, comfy, luscious and full
also making your pedals look fluffy and gorgeous  


Isn't it so elegant looking?
Her new home will be front and center on my brown bedspread!
Now get on it and make one for yourself 
I hope I have given you the tools and the confidence you need
to make your very own
You will be so proud when you are done!!!
I give mine a little snuggle every night :)

If you have any questions at all remember you can always email me
or leave a comment I will answer them all
This pillow is linked up here 
and here

Todays Creative Blog

HookingupwithHoH


The DIY Show Off




Thank you for all of your support, comments and for following 
Make sure to link up your fun projects to the show and share party here!

19 comments:

  1. I love this! I really want to do something similar with a pillow that I have. You are inspiring friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable Whitney! It looks so easy and I have wanted to try a pillow like this for a while! Thanks for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It looks even better in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this pillow! I need ot make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you rock girl! i love it:) great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I've given you "The Versatile Blogger" Award on my blog Two Yellow Birds Decor today. Please come on over and check it out!!
    http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

    p.s. I love that pillow!! Super Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so awesome! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... that is so a-mazing! I've been looking for a cute accent pillow to make and I think I've found it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cute... Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/10/you-rock-5.html. Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @ RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will be featured tomorrow on COM. Well done. LOVE IT. xo jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Thank you so much for the step by step pictures and instructions! I want to make this now for our bed, have a fabulous weekend!
    Delightful Deets

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative of you! Also a great tutorial that has pictures and instructions! I so maybe making this soon! If you would, I'd love it if you would post on my 1st Sunday's Best Party. You need to share!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did such an awesome job on this!! Love the white and yellow together! Thanks for the tip on the travel pillow!! I'll keep that in mind next time I make some pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! Great tutorial!

    Thanks for linking up for this weeks Pinteresting Party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute, I've never made anything like this but you make it look really simple!

    New follower :)

    Stephanie
    chocolatecoveredbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This came out great! I have seen those flowers on t-shirts as well and have wondered how to do it! Thanks for sharing! I featured you today in my Friday I'm In Love favorites!

    http://socialsalutations.blogspot.com/2011/10/friday-im-in-lovewith-brights.html

    - Jenn @ Social Salutations

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute pillow and I love yellow. Great job on these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm TOTALLY making some of these! Love them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover