Monday, February 25, 2013

Maddux and Holden's Room

 Today I am going to share a little peak into one of the rooms in my home. exciting right?! Kinda scary for me. I love to craft and decorate but I am always trying to change things and take on a million projects and rooms at once and so nothing ever seems to get done. Plus we are renting so I can't change some things that I would like to if it were my home. Since we are living in a two bedroom basement apartment my two boys share a room so I will be giving you a tour of their shared room (ages 2 1/2 and 6 months) and it is...ALL BOY! Whoever said boy rooms are no fun to decorate was very wrong. I have had a blast and I love how it all turned out. So I will be giving you a tour from the time you walk in the door all the way around the room with some links to tutorials and places that I got some of my stuff. (P.S. sorry about the pictures this is before I got my better camera and the lighting in a basement apartment is terrible.) Welcome to my sweeties, Maddux and Holden's Room.


This is the view right as you open the door. There is a random little cove and a door to the back storage room. But we don't use that door since there is also one in the hall to the same room (weird I know) so we just keep it locked and the little cove is a perfect place for the rocker and the perfect corner for the stuffed animal canopy. The Huge Red dog Ty gave to me on our first Valentine's married and the adorable huge elephant Santa gave to Holden this year.  The very first thing we did to this room when we first moved in was paint it a light brown (it was a light pink, and my boys were not going to have a pink room), because we wanted the room colors to be brown, red, blue and white. Very boy don't you think?!  We got the rocker for free from one of our good friends down in Cedar City and I have been meaning to recover it and put more padding in it but just haven't gotten around to it yet.


Our boys have way too many stuffed animals but they love them and we rotate which ones Maddux sleeps with so they pretty much all get used. I got this canopy over in the Toys section by the stuffed animals at Walmart for about $7 I think. I love it because it keeps them organized and takes little space.

Maddux loves his car mat so much and so I thought we would use it for their rug in their room too. Cute and fun to play with win win for boys and mom. I got this mat at Ikea for only $15. So worth it if you have a boy in the house.


Moving along, once you walk in a little bit you will see the closet to the left of the cove and the crib to the left of that, all along the same wall.That closet totally cracks me up, it reminds me of church dividers. Right?! haha. If it was my house and we weren't renting those would be the first to go, but for now there they are :)


Above the closet we have one of my very favorite quotes from Tarzan "For one so small you seem so Strong" and a newborn picture of Maddux.  My boys are freakishly strong babies. They hold their heads up on their own when they are only days old. Everyone that holds them when they are babies says how strong they are. I thought it was normal until I held other babies and I actually had to support their heads haha and they were all floppy. One day when Maddux was a baby Ty and I were watching Tarzan and this song came on and we both looked at each other and said that is so Maddux and now it is so Holden too so that is why we put that quote on their wall. I don't know if I am an overly emotional mom but that song makes me cry every time I hear it. I cut the vinyl myself on my silhouette cutting machine. and painted that frame red I got from the DI for only 50 cents.


In the closet there is Holden's dresser (We got this dresser from my mom for free. Isn't it cute? And it fits in the closet perfectly), nice shirts and jackets hung, a hanging organizer (you can get them at Walmart or Target this one is an old one Ty used in his college apartment) with diapers, wipes, bath towels and blankets, bins (I think I got them all at target) with books, shoes, burp clothes and bibs, and bath and medicine supplies.


To the left of the closet on the same wall fits Holden's crib perfectly. We got this crib for free from my mom and dad and we used it for Maddux and now Holden. I got the adorable bedding back in 2010 at Walmart in a set and have used it for both my boys. I love it!


This super cute HUGE wall frame that sits above the crib was made by me and Ty. It was so much fun working on it together and it is the exact statement piece that I wanted. We got a piece of MDF board painted it blue (left over paint from the dresser we painted...see below), added some molding we painted white, criss crossing it at the points (attached with wood glue and nails), and added some white shelfing we got from good ol Target and viola! Isn't it fun. I have seen things similar that they just painted a rectangle on the wall the color they wanted and then framed it with molding but we wanted to be able to take this with us when we moved to we did it on the MDF instead. On the small top shelf I put some adorable vintage baby toys (top and music player) that my mom gave me at a baby shower. On the bottom shelf I have a newborn picture of Holden in a 50 cent frame from the DI that I painted red, a cute owl I got for $1 at Target, and a temple print I got from an Etsy shop called My LDS temple (I have a few prints from them and LOVE them!!!!) that I put in a dollar store frame that I painted white.  Then lastly to finish it off I added The letters M and H for my boy's names, Maddux and Holden, with some white vinyl that I cut with my craft cutter.


As you turn the corner on the next wall and at the head of the crib I just simply put an adorable picture of my two boys together. And yes I got this frame at the DI (again) and painted it red. See a theme here with the revamping?! Oh also I put this frame up with picture hanging command strips. I love these because they don't put any holes in your walls and they don't cause any damage to the wall when you take them off. And it makes it so easy to get your pictures to hang straight and not move.


Just left of the picture and the crib is the changing table in front of the window. Sorry about the lighting. We live in a basement apartment so the lighting is not so great. Ok lets start with that changing table shall we. This little beauty was a pain in my butt, but I love how it turned out so it is ok. Back when I was pregnant with my first son, My mom gave me this changing table that she had used for my little brothers. It was white and I knew I wanted to paint it brown to match the crib. The problem was back then they did not have the selection of spray paint that they do now so I had to brush paint it and it took soooo long. But it looks so good now because I took my sweet time on it. The changing pad came with it and then I just bought a blue fuzzy cover for it at Walmart. Also there used to be some blue, red and tan bins that went on the shelves to hold baby supplies, toys and books but when Maddux got older and into a toddler bed I moved them or he never would have napped and just would have made a mess, so they are in the closet now. Ok, now to the curtains. This is actually a cloth shower curtain hahah funny huh. I have been on the hunt for the right curtains or fabric for so long and just never found what I was looking for then one day I was walking through Target and saw this amazing red and white striped cloth shower curtain, and that was that, I bought it. And did kinda what I did HERE. I cut it down the middle, sewed a new hem on each side, and folded over the top and sewed a hem with an opening for the curtain rod and they were done and I LOVE them and the fabric is thick and super good quality.



Next in the corner is the dresser. Mine and Hubby's very first revamping furniture project. It was the start and now I love changing old furniture to look new. We got this dresser for free from a friend. I just realized we got a ton of baby stuff for FREE. We are so lucky. It is a nice solid oak dresser. It had great bones but I was not digging the color so we painted it blue. And this blue was a mistint so it was only $5 for a whole gallon and we only used like a 1/2 gallon. This is the same color we used for the framed wall piece above. I did not like the hardware so we used rope instead. I love the look especially for a little boy. We painted it using the same steps as my post HERE. On the dresser we have a lamp (that I have had since a teenager), Piggy bank (baby gift), an ABC print (from my mom), Greg Maddux baseball cards (Who Maddux is named after kinda, that is where we got the idea for the name and spelling), little boy willow tree, mickey mouse bank, star (I got a a yard sale), Mickey ears (from Maddux's first time at Disneyland....Oh how I want to go back), and a picture of Christ (every time we sing Sunbeam at night Maddux has to hold this picture). Above the dresser I made some adorable DIY tissue paper pom poms (you can find my tutorial on these HERE). I think they look perfect in that corner. Each pom pom was about $1. 


On the next wall  over is Maddux's toddler bed (cars theme of course and again free hand me down in perfect shape might I add) and above his bed the ABC wall.


This is my favorite thing in their room. Me and my mom made all these letters together. She gave me a bunch of them for a baby shower and then I bought some. Mix matching sizes, fonts and styles. Then I went and bought some coordinating paper in reds, blues, and browns, got some paint and me and mom got to work. To see how to do these letters you can see my tutorial HERE or HERE. It took a long time but it was so worth it. Oh and I get the question all the time of how I hung them, and I used the picture hanging command stripsThey are amazing I tell ya.



At the head of Maddux's bed I hung these cute pictures my mom gave me. I love them and Maddux loves the ones with his name on it especially because he has a red bike just like that now.


On the last wall is another one of my favorite project The Tree I made! You can find the full tutorial HERE. But pretty much I just found a picture of the tree I wanted, projected it up on the wall and traced it to some fabric I wanted to use (brown for the trunk, green for the leaves, red and white for the owl), cut out the fabric, and then put it on the wall with liquid starch and a foam roller to smooth it out. The starch makes it stick to the wall, but when you want to take it down it peals right off with no damage. It is cool huh?!?!


And lastly on the back of their door I put this adorable height chart ruler that my mom gave to me for Christmas. I love it. We are going to mark their heights on it every birthday :)

So what do you think? Pretty darn cute and stylin for a shared little Boys' room right?! And  It is even better in person.:)

Thank you for all your support, for reading and for following 

Linked up HERE

Twitter Subscribe Pinterest Facebook Etsy Shop Follow on Bloglovin Instagram Contact Me

6 comments:

  1. I used a shower curtain in my little boys room too! I just cut down the middle and sewed too. Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny I just thought why not it is exactly what I wanted :) Great minds do think a like

      Delete
  2. Such a cute room! I think all the personal touches is what makes it so special :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the alphabet wall! very cute. just found your blog :) Laura from Lifewelive4

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Love the alphabet on the wall. These boys have such a cute Momma!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover